Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 4: Your parents

Photo: © Elizabethtown 2005
Have you ever been in a space in time that seemed so special that words would fail to communicate what your memory could capture perfectly?

Well, that’s the best way I know how to explain how I see my mom and dad. My mom is a very compassionate person who often puts others before herself. She seemed to have that innate sense to be where she was needed the most and willing to help even if it just meant to lend an ear. And as embarrassing as it was to me as a child, she had no qualms in getting a person's attention whom she may have not seen in years with a smile and a wave from what seemed like across the room.

And though my dad was a very approachable person and enjoyed to give as well, I’ll always remember him best by the love and support he showed toward both my brother and I. Growing up, I remember during my sophomore year in high school when I was asked to become a starter for the JV team. Morale was low due to the fact that a few of my teammates had been suspended from playing because of their poor grades. So, one day during an early Saturday morning basketball practice, my much older father ended up running the drills with me and the team. And that's the kind of attitude he had. He wouldn't let me believe I couldn't do something or fear anything. He would always ask me, "what's the worst thing that can happen?"

1 comment:

  1. And those two special people obviously had a great influence on the person you have become.

    ReplyDelete